August 13, 2018

learning english

if you want to learn English, it's basically just try to immerse yourself in an English environment. in a way where everything you do, you say, you read, and you listen are in English. that way, you'll gain better English faster.

but then, the most important thing is for you to realize that you really want to learn it. if you don't, if it's just because people are learning it, or because your parents and your boss told you so, or some other similar reasons, it will be very hard for you to learn.

Simon Sinek said, "Start with WHY."

"Why do you want to learn English?"

"We give you the most beautiful thing in life.. STORY"


cause, trust me. i see it firsthand. even people who know that they need English very much, still can't keep themselves in steadily reaching that goal. at the end of the day, it's not the skill itself that counts but your will in keep on practicing.

and another thing,
learn in a way that makes you happy. with methods that you know you will enjoy.

if you ask me what i do to keep my English progressing, here they are.

  • i listen to podcasts. thanks to having iPhone and Jakarta's traffic, i have a lot of time spent in cars driving alone everyday. rather than listening to people rambling on the radio without any added value for myself (#nooffense), i choose to listen to podcasts. you can choose the channel that you will enjoy (and you can definitely learn from it). have i said that everything is FREE? my lists would be The Inquiries by BBC, unladylike, TED Talks Daily, and sincerely, X by TED and audible.
  • i read books. for this, i thank myself and my family for making me read English books early in my childhood. they forced me into buying English novels cause they threatened me with not going to pay for Bahasa Indonesia's books. if you are a beginner English readers, you might want to consider finding on Google first the kind of book that suits your level of English so that you can enjoy reading it without having to go back and forth from your book and dictionary.
  • and i have a lovely workplace with a day-to-day English environment, with people who are also eager in learning English. so yeah, i talk English with them.
  • for addition, you can also choose watching movies or short videos on Youtube. even watching vlog can help. moreover, in trying to imitate the vlogger. that's what my sister does in front of the mirror every time she puts on her makeup and does her routine, and sure it helps.

and, anyway, let's start, shall we?

you can always reach me if you need any friend to talk in English with. email me at ghaniyyart@gmail.com and i'll reach back to you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment