January 25, 2021

1

 Write about 5 problems with social media


I wouldn't really count the problems but I know there are problems. At least at how I handle my own social media habits. I watched "The Social Dilemma" and I couldn't relate more. Social media's ex-staff and developers were talking about how they were always aiming to keep as much of our attention to them. The more we spend time looking at our screen with their apps open, the more they profit.

Two quotes from the movie that's stuck with me were

"If you're not paying for the product, then you are the product." - Daniel Hovermann

and

"There are only two industries that call their customers 'users': illegal drugs and software." - Edward Tufte

 

And that's exactly my problem with social media. I get easily addicted to and absorbed in it. That really bothers me since I hate being unproductive (to be fair, even without social media I am very much unproductive). However, being unproductive in social media brings another problem to me too.

Somehow, my hearts, consciousness, and intentions are not yet clear. More often than not, they rooted not in humbleness and kindness. I get jealous. Even worse, I belittle people. It builds a habit in me that talking about someone else is ok. As if I am better than everyone else. Just like how everyone who put forth their thought on the comment section or as a thread. Sometimes, my way of thinking even gets infected from all the noises on social media.

Restraining oneself, I guess, still a skill I need to master. So currently, I handle it by deleting the social media apps on my phone. I thought I get rid of the addiction. Unfortunately, my addiction moves to another. To games.

So yeah, I guess claiming control of myself is the problem after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment